Re: denoting peer-reviewed material?

From: Erik Hatcher <esh6h_at_virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:29:51 -0400

On May 31, 2005, at 1:51 PM, MacKenzie Smith wrote:

> Hmmm. It might be useful, but we aren't doing that here, and I'm
> having a hard time figuring out how you would know whether a given
> item was peer reviewed
> (without just asking a human that is). It's usually not indicated
> in the metadata, although you might be able to infer it in certain
> cases (i.e. came from a publishers
> website, or contains publication metadata from a journal known to
> be peer-reviewed). Did you have a mechanism in mind to decide that?

We're in the beginning stage of this and haven't given much thought
to how this would work. I had figured that an initial restriction
by domain name would be sufficient to start with. Keying off "I'm
ok" metadata could lead to it being abused or the truth stretched and
doesn't seem like the right way to denote this.

Perhaps using some type of service to vet the site would be used?
Connotea does something similar by pulling additional information
from sites it knows about: http://www.connotea.org/guide#autocollection

Thanks for your quick reply.

     Erik