Re: longwell build system

From: Erik Hatcher <esh6h_at_virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:10:25 -0400

On Jul 8, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Jon Crump wrote:
> Many thanks, that gives me a lot to chew on. The Ant manual looks
> very clear and comprehensive. As to the matter of XSLT: the via
> build.xml file is instructive. It looks like I could use this as a
> model, just plugging in my file-names.
>
> <else>
> <echo message="Processing via.rdf"/>
> <java classname="net.sf.saxon.Transform" classpathref="classpath">
> <arg line="-o ${base}/data/via.rdf ${base}/data/harvard-via.xml
> ${base}/stylesheets/via.xsl"/>
> </java>

It is also possible to use the <xslt> Ant task to do
transformations. I'm not sure what running Saxon's Transform
directly does that <xslt> lacks, but I'm running Saxon successfully
with Ant (though I do put Saxon's JAR in the script that I launch Ant
from currently).

> Do you think it would work if I simply replaced the saxon7.jar with
> saxon8.jar, or would I break something I can't see?

Can't hurt to try :) I'm not sure in the context of Longwell, but
for general XSLT I think you'd be fine upgrading.

> It doesn't help that I don't really know how java classpaths work.
> Is the classpath specified elsewhere, and would it have to be
> edited? neither the classname="net.sf.saxon.Transform", nor
> classpathref="classpath" look like pointers to ./tools/lib/saxon7.jar.

classpathref="classpath" refers to a previously defined <path> in the
build file (or it's parent that called it via <ant>). So adjusting
where <path id="classpath"> is defined would be the best place in
this case.

Classpath in Java - *whew* - in short it's the search path for
external dependencies like 3rd party libraries such as Saxon. A
classpath is an ordered list of files and directories. The files
specified in a classpath are .jar files. Directories are used if
they contain .class files, but this is probably not the case in this
context.

     Erik