Re: bibliographic issues

From: Richard Newman <r.newman_at_reading.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:49:08 -0700

This is unfortunately a very complicated topic.

It's not enough to hang properties off the person -- and not just
because you want sequencing of components or somesuch. Consider a
person with more than one name.

One can't make another foaf:Person, and relate them through
owl:sameAs. They will be smushed together, and information will be lost.

However, we also lose information if we just attach multiple
properties to the person. Which givenname goes with which surname?

It's even worse when you consider transliterations. Which Japanese
name is transliterated into which English name?

Consider Aikido founder Morihei Ueshiba. This is one way that I'd
represent his names, using back-of-napkin properties. Please excuse
any errors, I'm no good at Japanese.

:osensei a foaf:Person ;
   :complexName :osenseiName , :fullName .

:fullName a :ComplexName ;
   foaf:name "植芝盛平"_at_jp ;
   foaf:name "Morihei Ueshiba"_at_en ;
   foaf:givenname "Morihei"_at_en , "盛平"@jp ;
   foaf:surname "Ueshiba"_at_en , "植芝"@jp .

:osenseiName a :ComplexName ;
   foaf:name "翁先生"_at_jp ;
   foaf:name "O Sensei"_at_en .

More thorough might be to (a) put the names in rdf:Alt containers,
allowing for multiple different transliterations of the same name to
the same language; (b) reify further, to allow properties to describe
the relationships between names. These would need more thought.

On top of this we also need structured name components to
bibliographic standard, but we'll leave that for another time :)

-R