[announcement] HTTPTracer 1.0

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:08:41 -0700

In my quest to make PiggyBank usable, I needed to understand what was
going on on the HTTP wire. I've always used tcpflow for that, but I
found it hard to deal with the amount of requests that PB generates
(those pages are pretty complex HTML with lots of parts), so I
remembered that I saw something cooler in Apache that somebody showed me
once, but I never go to use it.

So, I found it again deep inside the Apache Axis project and I
repackaged it and added a few things (like timing... but still sucks..
timing kept-alive pipelined http connections is a lot harder than it
seems at first!)

Find it at

  http://simile.mit.edu/httptracer/

and the distributions at

  http://simile.mit.edu/dist/httptracer/

It's available as a jar file ("java -jar httptracer.jar" to run) or as a
native Macosx application (since I like pretty icons and applications
that feel as native as possible, there you just have to double click to
run).

NOTE: the code is still open source but the license is not BSD but the
Apache License 2.0 (because the original was under that license and I
kept my modifications under the same license).

Enjoy.