Re: bibliographic issues

From: Richard Newman <r.newman_at_reading.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:38:56 -0700

If by subproperty you mean the RDFS definition of subproperty:

p1 subPropertyOf p2
x p1 y
=>
x p2 y

then no -- certainly they are both names, but the existing FOAF name
properties point to strings, while complexName points to a
ComplexName resource. It is not the case that

x foaf:name "John"
=>
x foaf:complexName "John"

Bearing in mind that this is back-of-napkin, I'd suggest a
ComplexName class that is the domain of some component properties --
it was wrong of me to use foaf:name in the example, because it names
the subject; here I mean something else.

If by "subproperty" you mean this idea of component properties, then
"sort of" is the answer.

I'd suggest the following: foaf:Persons are associated with
ComplexName resources, indicated by a complexName property. This does
not necessarily obsolete foaf:name, which is a handy, simple
property. Instead, this ComplexName can be a useful reification to
describe a single name (which may be associated with multiple
entities, translated into different languages, related to other
names, composed of composite name fragments, etc. etc. ad nauseum).

Does that make sense?

-R