Re: bibliographic issues

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:58:15 -0400

On names, the conclusion of the FRAR report I just posted about has the
following components of personal names:

Forename
Surname
Number
Title/term of address
Other personal name parts

and then:

scope of usage
dates of usage
language of name
script of name
transliteration schema of name

Maybe then:

<Person>
   <knownAs xml:lang="en">
     <usageScope><!-- not sure, but I like it --></usageScope>
     <forename>John</forename>
     </surname>Doe</surname>
   </knownAs>
</Person>

I like that, because it then also neatly handles other really basic
stuff like when people change names as a result of marriage or divorce.
  I recently had that case with my bibliographic data and concluded FOAF
couldn't handle it. Other examples: pen names and such (although I
have a friend who publishes under a pseudonym for personal safety
reasons, so that information would have to remain private!).

Bruce