Re: bibliographic issues

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:27:11 -0400

On Aug 3, 2005, at 9:16 AM, Alf Eaton wrote:

> I much prefer to use 'given name' and 'family name', in whatever
> context. I find forename, surname, first name and last name to be very
> confusing for people who often write their names the other way round
> to English (eg in France).

Yeah, I found this a little strange myself, particularly given that
these people are designing for international use. If you read the
report, though, they do define these bits more broadly than family and
given. For example, surname here refers also to clan names and so
forth.

So there is a logic to it. Still, I can't get over the fact that fore
and sur sounds like ordering.

Bruce