Re: bibliographic issues

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:30:33 -0400

On Aug 3, 2005, at 9:04 AM, Ian Davis wrote:

> A few months ago I proposed a naming system for FOAF[1] which
> suggested properties like familiarName and formalName with literal
> content.

Yeah, I saw that. The problem is that a concept like formalName is too
broad. One may have many formal names depending on context. To my
beginning students I may be "Dr. D'Arcus" to the law I am "Bruce H.
D'Arcus," while for publication -- and in most cases -- I'd just be
"Bruce D'Arcus."

> Maybe there's a way to use both approaches and to allow any number of
> these types of names.

I think there probably is.

Bruce