RE: [announcement] DSpace Scraper - Reloaded

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt_at_biomedcentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:06:18 +0100

In the real world of bibliographic systems, tools are in wide use that can and do map data between different bibliographic systems such as

PubMed XML format
Crossref piped format
EndNote export format
Bibtex format
BioMed Central native XML format
OpenURL format
RSS/Dublin Core format

etc

The mappings that achieve this are not perfect. But the results that are achieved by having these mappings are real, and are profoundly important.
I think there's a danger that issues like this can be negelected as being "provably unanswerable", when in fact the utility of the partial solutions that can be achieved is undervalued.

In fact, weirdly, I remember spending weeks having exactly this debate in 1995, when I wanted to add EndNote format export to our Evaluated MEDLINE system (at the time, pre-PubMed, it was the first free web medline). The lead developer on the project was strongly opposed to adding EndNote export, since it was messy - the data didn't fit quite right, and it didn't fit with the elegance of the rest of the project. But when we finally introduced the EndNote download option, it was by far the most frequently used and praised aspect of the service.

Matt

This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com