Just Starting Out

From: Jason Foster <retsofaj_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:34:14 -0400

Having chosen RDF over Topic Maps for organizing my research (thanks
Stefano!) I'm in the process of setting up my system. I'm hoping
that you can help me get started converting my resources into Simile-
compatible forms, in exchange for the promise of my writing a summary
"Getting Started" document for the wiki.

I've downloaded and built Longwell (which should mention somewhere
that by default you have to be online to build) and am working on
Haystack. My impression from browsing the Simile website is that the
current focus is on read-only display of existing data. Given that
all I have right now are handwritten research notes, some vaguely-
structured text files, and an EndNote database, my next step seems to
be coming up with a way to add information to an RDF store.

The Longwell documentation lists 5 different RDF stores and provides
configuration information for each. Unfortunately (for me) I don't
have a feel for which store makes the most sense. I have a sneaking
suspicion that I should look at DSpace, but a cursory look hasn't
revealed any documentation on integrating Longwell with DSpace.

If you have a minute, can you outline the steps that a new "RDF
Convert" would follow to incorporate their research notes, web
bookmarks, z39.50 results, etc., into a browsable *and update-able*
RDF store?

Thanks for your help, and for providing the only open source, facet-
based browser I've been able to find!

Jason Foster