Re: Just Starting Out

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:24:19 -0400

Jason Foster wrote:

> If you have a minute, can you outline the steps that a new "RDF
> Convert" would follow to incorporate their research notes, web
> bookmarks, z39.50 results, etc., into a browsable *and update-able* RDF
> store?

I'm curious about this myself. My current workflow uses an XML database,
but I am cleaning up that data to also convert it to RDF. I've not
thoughts much about the editing issue though.

I will say that with RDF, there's less need for updating metadata. Just
add triples.

BTW, one feature request I have for PB is to allow user annotations
(more than just tags).

Finally, on z39.50 results, more for the SIMILE people, but:

there are new web-oriented protocols (SRW/U) that could work well in
this context. The Library of Congress catalog, for example, allows SRU
(RESTful) queries of its catalog, and can return MARXML, MODS and DC.
Would be nice to be able to query it from with PB.

Bruce