[Fwd: Re: Semantic Bank on Tomcat?]

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:09:58 -0700

Forwarded with permission.

attached mail follows:

Hi Danny,
I have tried yersterday to install the last version (from SVN) of
Semantic Bank on a local machine and play with the last (== great!)
release of Piggy Bank... but I think there are some troubles.

I am able to create a new account on Semantic Bank, via Piggy
Bank options, and see it in my Semantic Bank installation but
when I try to publish/persist something on my banks I will not
see anything on my Semantic Bank. I am sure I am missing
something and that it is my fault, but I do not know what/why :-(

Instead, everything works fine with the last (old) release of
Semantic Bank, that you find here:
http://simile.mit.edu/dist/semantic-bank/

These are my settings in semantic-bank.properties:

bankCorpus.connector=edu.mit.simile.longwell.corpus.NativeSesameConnector

bankCorpus.database=longwell2

bankCorpus.modelName=default

vaultDir=./vault

baseURI=http://castagna.example.org:8888/account#

server.host=0.0.0.0

server.port=8888

server.contextPath=/bank

server.resourcePath=./src/ui/html

Maybe I am doing something wrong... :-/
I am using server.host=0.0.0.0 because is an internal
installation and I do not need Apache.

In theory should be possible to start up a Semantic Bank
installation from a Servlet (or Listener) running inside Tomcat,
but I think there could be problems with the class loading
and maybe with relative filepaths... why you want shoot on
your feets trying running Semantic Bank inside Tomcat? :-D

For Stefano:

>From here: http://simile.mit.edu/semantic-bank/dev-guide.html

   1. cd where/you/want/it
   2. svn checkout
http://simile.mit.edu/repository/longwell/branches/2.0/ longwell2
   3. svn checkout
http://simile.mit.edu/repository/semantic-bank/trunk/ semantic-bank
   4. cd longwell2
   5. ant
   6. cd ../semantic-bank
   7. ant

change line 13 inside semantic-bank/build.properties

errata:
longwell=../Longwell2

corrige:
longwell=../longwell2

... or change 2. svn checkout
http://simile.mit.edu/repository/longwell/branches/2.0/ Longwell2

I know, it is trivial to fix... but maybe someone will not find it
immediatly. :-)

Bye.