Re: Sesame vs. Jena?

From: Ian Wilson <Ian.Wilson_at_uchsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:09:45 -0700

Any update on the performance benchmarks mentioned below? I
know Kowari has a new release expected soon (Dec?), and sesame
just released an alpha of sesame2. Thought an update of this
report, would be very informative and timely:
http://simile.mit.edu/reports/stores/

I have 2 big memory machines (64bit aix w/ 64GB RAM, and a
64bit DebianSarge dual core opteron w/ 16GB RAM - using the 64
bit IBM 1.4.2 on aix, and the 64 bit Sun 1.5 on sarge64)- I
have been interested in experimenting with the newer 3stores
for large in memory storage of bioinformatics data. I'm
currently experimenting with sesame and the uniprot data.

You also mentioned a future effort to address scalability
concerns - and the dedication of an engineer to this topic.
I'm guessing we will have to eventually start looking at how
to distribute graphs across a cluster - thoughts? Google's
work on 'BigTables' seemed very interesting. Happy to chat
about this topic some more some time.

If the work mentioned below is in process - let me know if I
can help with some of the benchmarking using the hardware I
mentioned.

Incidentally, my interest in the Simile project is currently
just SemanticBank/Longwell.

On another topic: I noticed an ajax branch in the longwell svn
repository. What are the plans for this? Have you looked at
some of the various js frameworks to support this development
(e.g. scriptaculous, dojo, zimbra's ajaxtk, etc.)?

best,
ian