RE: infoURI standard officially blessed

From: Hammond, Tony <T.Hammond_at_nature.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:47:55 -0000

Sorry - but just don't buy it.

I also remember the Web (yeah, from way back when, then - when it was fun
:).

Difference being (between our apparent positions) is that I _am_ a believer.
But in URI. Please, please, do not confound deref (the clickability thing -
that blue touchline) with the naming of things. To quote self (oh, and how
do I love to):

        "When referencing an information asset by means of its "info" URI,
the asset SHALL be considered a "resource" as defined in RFC 3896 [RFC3896]
and SHALL enjoy the same common syntactic, semantic and shared language
benefits that the URI presentation confers."

That's what a URI means. It does _not_mean that you need a browser plugin or
extra code or anything else. All it means is that if you find a string used
in a URI context which is conformant to URI syntax as governed by (you know
what) then everythng is hunky dory. One can either offer service against
said URI (having proved that it has a valid structure) or one can simply say
"Nopes - recognize you guy but don't know how to field". I am beginning to
wonder if there are indeed _any_ applications out there that recognize URIs
without having something hardwired into 'em. (Btw, I don't believe in
browsers.)

Frankly, I'm getting a teensy weensy bit tired of this. Let's choose: HTTP
or URI. I'm backing URI.

Cheers,

Tony

Ps/
If I sound stroppy - I am. It's 17.42 and black as coal outside. Take care
of yous.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS