RE: infoURI standard officially blessed

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt_at_biomedcentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:39:41 -0000

I am coming to this (and I think Alf too) from the perspective of wanting to develop practical services about actual stuff, as opposed to operating in domain neutral RDF world.

These services would build on top of all the abstract RDF stuff.

But ultimately, we need to boil things down to a few practical things that we know how to deal with.
i.e. the infinite regress has to bottom out somewhere, on some leaf nodes, which are taken as atoms to actually mean something.
info URIs are one way to provide this.
This may be philosophically inelegant, but it seems to me pragmatically invaluable.

In terms of the suggestions that have been made for alternatives:

If I have came across 2 URIs:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&isbn=0393060349
and also:
http://isbn.org/madeupresolver?039-3-06034-9

Using those alternatives, how would I as an application developer know that they were corresponded to the same entity?

Matt

This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com