Re: infoURI standard officially blessed

From: David Karger <karger_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:33:39 -0500

I agree with stefano that it is somewhat silly and annoying that people
keep trying to spin off new naming schemes that are, at the bottom,
completely equivalent to URIs---namely, they are opaque names that refer
to arbitrary resources. About the only rationale I can see for this
approach is that the question of who owns, ie registers, names is
contentions and everybody wants to be a registrant. I think we could
take a good insight from DNS here, and be better off using hierarchical
namespaces plus delegation to address that problem; however, I am
equally happy with a naming scheme that produces names that are
gibberish nobody will fight over (md5:kjsfaga3258yu2hiuwiuw probably
won't generate a lot of contention).

However, I disagree with Stefano on the issue of resolvability. There's
an important issue that people have circled in this discussion but not
made explicit. On the web, with its urls, there is one place to resolve
that url, and conveniently there is also one "owner" of the url. We go
there to resolve the url because that location is authoratative
regarding the url. Come the semantic web, names no longer imply
authority---they are simply references. It is inconceivable that only
one entity is going to want to talk about a given resource, and even
more inconveivable that everyone will be happy if someone takes
"authoratative ownership" of all the information about a given
resource. Rather, different people will want to be free to make their
own assertions about an name, without being subject to the censorship of
an "owner" of the name, and different people will trust different
information sources to provide valid information about the name. Thus,
I don't see the idea of "single resolution mechanism" as being valid or
useful. Rather, we are going to have to rely on assortments of spiders
(ie, another level of indirection) to help resolve queries of the form
"who can tell me more about the following resource". The answer to such
queries may be a list of URLs (as opposed to URIs), as that is the
appropriate moment to be pointed at a particular source of information.
But it doesn't make any sense for a particular information source to be
hard coded, either implicitly or explicitly, into the object name.