Re: Public wiki?

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:24:44 -0500

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Brett Zamir wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any chance of starting a wiki open to the public?
>
> Yes. In fact, it's a matter of removing the password to the existing wiki.
>
> I was also toying with the idea of installing WikiMedia instead of
> MoinMoin.

Are you looking to gain something in addition to its familiarity via
Wikipedia?

> nono, hosting is not the problem, it's actually already there
>
> http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/
>
> and it contains already a good amount of background even if most of this
> stuff is now probably obsolete, or even just private to the project
> (like meeting schedules and stuff like that).
>
> I'll play around with wikimedia when I have a little time and see how
> that works.
>
> Ryan, suggestions?

We do have two pages open to the public - account creation and the piggy
bank demo page. I installed a content filter that's kept the page free
of spam for the past twenty days. It's a blacklist, but it is kept up
to date by the community on a fairly regular basis, and you can add to a
local appendix yourself.

Perhaps we can open up the whole wiki for a bit while keeping the
blacklist pages locked down and see how it goes.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327