Re: Flock and piggy-bank

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:23:17 -0500

eric_at_prebys.com wrote:
> Flock is a web2.0 styled browser written on top of firefox. It is in
> early beta. I used it a little and it has some very promising features.
>
> http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php

Yes, I used it already.

> Is there any fusion happening between piggy-bank and flock?

Not at the moment.

> Should there be?

I have a hard time believing that there is a need for 'yet another
mozilla-based browser'. Flock would gain a lot more traction if it was
packaged as a firefox extension instead of its own thing. (this is why
we have piggy-bank and not a semantic-web-enabled firefox clone, we want
to ride their marketing train, not push our own!)

But anyway, their choice.

As far as integration is concerned, we'll see. It's already hard enough
to keep up with all the firefox releases and different versions (and
operating systems and java JVM versions, etc...) that I can't really see
that big of a value in integrating with yet another browser which has
such a insignificant market share and doesn't bring any interesting
features to our data table. (integration with del.icio.us is trivial to
implement in piggy-bank, it's just a scraper away).

Anyway, I speak for myself, not the group, but I don't see me spending
any time on this, there are more important things to work on at the moment.