Re: A bit of bomb throwing....

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:23:24 -0500

On Jan 13, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Zack Rosen wrote:

> I care deeply about the semantic web research and work happening. I
> truly believe the concepts of the semantic web will be realized one
> way or another (I've bet my career on it). But I am convinced that
> the current tact semantic web research communities (such as SIMILE)
> have taken towards pursuing the vision of the semantic web is
> unworkable.
>
> I've posted at length about this here:
> http://www.zacker.org/semantic-web-research-isnt-working
>
> I'd love to hear your thoughts....

I think it's a tired argument that, while it has some merit, doesn't
really apply to this group. I think PB and related technologies (like
Solvent) are refreshingly practical implementations of semantic web
technologies.

Looking more broadly, I do think -- and I've said this before -- that
it's striking to me that RDF tools aren't more immediately useful in a
kind of Ruby on Rails way, where it's obvious and clear (in part
through tutorials and such) how to implement practical solutions. I'd
like to build a bibliographic database, and I'd prefer to do it with an
RDF store, but at a certain point it just seems easier to pick up
something like Rails and hassle with SQL.

I'm not a "researcher", BTW, nor even a professional developer, and I'm
not religious about this stuff. That said, I've recently joined the
OASIS OpenDocument TC, and my goal is to make sure they follow through
with a good proposal on adding RDF metadata support to the file format
because I think it's the best solution. One small contribution
hopefully.

So what's your contribution going to be?

Bruce