Re: A bit of bomb throwing....

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:47:32 -0500

Michael McDougall wrote:
> Zack Rosen wrote:
>

>>> Researchers are not some idle pool of labor looking for work. They
>>> have specific aims of their own and they have to please the people
>>> who fund them. David Huynh is working on a PhD. I'm sure he wants to
>>> make Solvent a rock solid and wildly popular tool, but if it comes
>>> down to pleasing users or finishing the PhD, he's probably gonna
>>> pick the the PhD--as he should.
>>

>> Sure this is how academia works. I get that. But this model simply
>> will not be an effective vehicle for creating the semantic web.
>>
> Agreed. What I don't get is why you demand that academia create your
> semantic web. Academia doesn't implement wide-scale architecture like
> that--that's the kind of thing engaged hobbyists and industry people do.

SIMILE is not *only* academia. It wants to be a common ground because
those who think, those who build, those who deploy, those who complain
and those who make money off of it.

And this discussion shows that we are becoming increasingly successful
at it.

So, kudos to Zack for helping out in showing this ;-)