Re: A bit of bomb throwing....

From: Rickard Öberg <rickard.oberg_at_senselogic.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:01:14 +0100

Rickard Öberg wrote:
> I can only speak for myself, but I've been kind of watching the SW stuff
> for a while, but didn't look further due to the lack of tools. I'm in
> the business space by the way, building software products. Anyway, PB
> definitely opened my eyes to this stuff on a practical basis, and some
> research later and internal lobbying and we now have a decision to
> implement RDF as the internal engine for how we manage information in
> our stuff. I am actually today doing a spike testing if we could replace
> the entire persistence solution with objects in Sesame instead. None of
> us could come up with a better way to deal with the problems we've been
> having with how to successfully manage and query very disconnected types
> of data. As long as performance works out, we're all for it.

The test went well. I used Sesame 1.2.3 as repository and used XStream
to serialize our Java objects to XML and then used the object id's as
subjects, "urn:data" as predicate, and the stringified XML as object.
Worked like a charm, with equal or better performance than the previous
persistence store (which was a serialized binary database, Jisp, works
kind of like BerkeleyDB).

The next step for me is to index various XPath's in the serialized XML
as RDF properties of the object, and then all of a sudden we can do some
very very very cool queries on our entire object model, not to mention
handle versioning of object models trivially (by using
"urn:data:<version>" as predicate).

This Semantic Web crap seems to be working out pretty nicely.

/Rickard