Re: reworking welkin

From: Vineet Sinha <vineet_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:18:50 -0500

And another project, Relo: http://relo.csail.mit.edu/

{disclaimer: I am the main developer behind Relo}

Relo does allow answering the question of the type in your example, i.e.
‘show me all authors who have published with penguin’. I'm seriously
considering adding a faceted refinement interface (similar to longwell /
magnet) and I'd be interested in helping build features to answer other
more complex questions, using visualization or more traditional techniques.

The fundamental differences between Welkin and Relo, is that Relo
focuses on:

]]] Usability: I have tried hard to hide the RDF, so that end users do
not need to worry about it. Also, to make sure that the tool is usable
we are answering the same questions that you have one domain at a time.
We have done the engineering for the software engineering domain, and
are currently working for expanding support other domains and general RDF.

]]] Size/Scale: Relo is designed to look at *parts* of *large* graphs of
information. Visualization techniques have shown to work poorly showing
large graphs, so we are spending time figuring out how to select
portions of the graphs to show to the user.

If you have chance, I'd be interested in hearing a citique of Relo.

Vineet