Re: reworking welkin

From: Arvind Venkataramani <arvind_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:41:42 -0500

Vineet Sinha wrote:
> And another project, Relo: http://relo.csail.mit.edu/
>
> {disclaimer: I am the main developer behind Relo}
Looks good! Wish I had this sort of stuff back in my coding days.
However..=

> Relo does allow answering the question of the type in your example,
> i.e. ‘show me all authors who have published with penguin’. I'm
> seriously considering adding a faceted refinement interface (similar
> to longwell / magnet) and I'd be interested in helping build features
> to answer other more complex questions, using visualization or more
> traditional techniques.
Relo provides visualization and manipulation capabilities for what are
nicely structured domains - a set of classes inheriting from and coupled
with each other make for a very neat graph. there's also the fact that
the relationships between the nodes in the graph are of a limited finite
type,
which can then be coded for. I think Relo's a great example of domain
specific RDF visualization, but what I want to do is something generic that
isn't tied down to a specific representation.

> The fundamental differences between Welkin and Relo, is that Relo
> focuses on:
>
> ]]] Usability: I have tried hard to hide the RDF, so that end users do
> not need to worry about it. Also, to make sure that the tool is usable
> we are answering the same questions that you have one domain at a
> time. We have done the engineering for the software engineering
> domain, and are currently working for expanding support other domains
> and general RDF.
>
> ]]] Size/Scale: Relo is designed to look at *parts* of *large* graphs
> of information. Visualization techniques have shown to work poorly
> showing large graphs, so we are spending time figuring out how to
> select portions of the graphs to show to the user.
This is where I differ - I'm not building a graph visualization tool,
which emphasises node objects and spatial relationships. Not everything
that is expressible as an RDF graph *is* actually a graph, nor in many
cases is a graph representation the best way to understand RDF, so I'd
rather be able to look at RDF as both multivariate data and as graph data.

> If you have chance, I'd be interested in hearing a citique of Relo.
If I can get it to run, that is :) When I open a Relo session with a
project or two opened, i get a dialog box asking me to select a path to
open, with no paths to open. I'm not sure what I should be doing with
it, but we can take that discussion offline.