lucene error -> facade model failure?

From: Jon Crump <jjcrump_at_myuw.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:40:44 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

Apologies for my last message containing a zipped attachment(March 10,
"Tyro question on PB and RDF+XML"). The local e-mail nanny "defanged" it
and attached an alarming message. Not surprising that no one wanted to
mess with such a mess.

After a lot more tinkering, I satisfied myself that there is nothing wrong
with the RDF of this bib2rdf output file. The more so since it works fine
on a WindowsXP machine. On my machine, any subset of the file fails in the
same way if it is longer than 45 records. The problem seems to be with the
Lucene code operating within the environment that I have [Recently updated
iBook (G4 OS 10.4.3) with the new version of FF (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh;
U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1)
and the most recent version of PB (2.1.2) and Java Plug-in 1.5.0, Using
JRE version 1.5.0_05 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM].

The operative error from the java console seems to be this:

12:34:37.182 [...xtIndexModel] java.io.IOException: Lock obtain timed out:
Lock_at_/tmp/lucene-da5209fd968dfcefa97fefe3f8de80d1-write.lock (60ms)

PB's parse of the file is incomplete though all of the types (Book,
Inproceedings, Article, Entry etc.) that are present are listed in the
"filter criterion." Moreover, clicking on some of the property
relationship arrows finds further items beyond the 45, but they are
displayed as plain literals, the facet bar is still not displayed, and the
console reports the following errors:

12:58:35.673 [Velocity ] Method getNarrowingFacets threw exception for
reference $answer in template templates/components/facets.vt at [6,25]
(425791ms) 12:58:35.674 [...rowseCommand]
org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of
method 'getNarrowingFacets' in class
edu.mit.simile.longwell.query.engine.QueryEngine$Answer threw exception
class java.lang.ClassCastException :
org.openrdf.sesame.sailimpl.nativerdf.model.NativeLiteral (1ms)
org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of
method 'getNarrowingFacets' in class
edu.mit.simile.longwell.query.engine.QueryEngine$Answer threw exception
class java.lang.ClassCastException :
org.openrdf.sesame.sailimpl.nativerdf.model.NativeLiteral

I gather that what this means is that the .lock file that Lucene creates
in /tmp prevents the index from being read beyond a certain point (60ms?)
and this goes on to create a cascade of other errors resulting in the
failure of the facet box.

Now this goes WAY beyond my limited expertise, but at least I've become
fairly sure that I'm looking at some kind of subtle bug and not just some
ham fisted error on my part (though I could still certainly be wrong about
that). Steve Dunham appears to have encountered the same bug. Steve, any
further observations on your deal?

I've posted the offending file at
http://home.myuw.net/jjcrump/tempdir/FailToParse/rdfizertest2.rdf if
anybody wants to see it. The java console output is included as a comment
at the top.

Persistently,
Jon
J.J. Crump