Re: please help! cannot build piggy bank

From: Candide Kemmler <ckemmler_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:43:50 +0200

OK great, I have written my own (very simple) scraper, with the help
of Solvent. Now, I'd like to complicate things a bit: I'd want to get
every details of each movie that is listed on this page:

http://www.cinenews.be/Movies.ByPlace.cfm?YellowID=80&lang=fr

...which is my favourite movie theatre in Brussels.

So I tried to insert the code that "scrapes several pages with details
pages" with Solvent. In a first step, I'd just want to have my working
code still working inside this template. To do that, I figured out
that I'd have to insert it inside the scrapeAPage function. I did even
less: just make an alert in there to make sure that the code actually
executes to this point, like so:

var scrapeAPage = function(
  doc, // the HTML document you are scraping from
  detailsPagesArray, // the array of details pages
  fDonePageCont // continuation function
) {

  alert("scraping a page");

  fDonePageCont();
}

But then I got this very disapointing alert:

Failed to extract data using screen scraper
file:///C:/dev/my-workspace/Piggy
Bank/src/scrapers/js/cinenews-scraper.js

Error: SyntaxError: missing formal parameter

Alas, I don't understand why this error is thrown at me.

Could you please help me a bit so I could get my simple scraper to
work? I'd just want a hand to get me on my feet with the Solvent
template. It seems very handy, but I must admit that I don't really
understand its design.

Thanks for the fun,

Candide

On 4/25/06, David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Candide,
>
> I suspect that you have installed your own scraper, which means that its
> metadata (including the regular expression) is now in the My Piggy Bank
> database. Have you tried the following?
> - browse to the My Piggy Bank database (Tools -> Piggy Bank -> Browser
> My Piggy Bank)
> - click on JavascriptScreenScraper in the list on the right
> - find your own screen scraper and delete it.
>
> We haven't had time to write a tutorial for Solvent, but there is a
> screen cast for it on its site. Solvent, once you get it, should make
> writing screen scrapers quite a bit easier.

What I want to do is getting

--
Candide Kemmler
3 rue du Bailli - 1000 Bruxelles