Re: [status] belated weekly report

From: Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman_at_aduna.biz>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 09:46:12 +0200

Ryan Lee wrote:
> Last week:
>
> - Found the deadlock problem - it seems the startTransaction() method
> initiaties a transaction but doesn't turn off auto-commit. Since
> updates on a repository will also initiate a transaction,
> startTransaction() appears to introduce the possibility of deadlock.
> The beginning of an atomic transaction should start with turning off
> auto-commit and end with a commit() (or rollback()), turning auto-
> commit back on afterwards
>
> (Corrections to my understanding of Sesame transactions are quite
> welcome)

The auto-commit flag only affects the Repository's internal transaction
and is unrelated to transactions created with startTransaction(). For
convenience reasons, class Repository implements the Transaction
interface. This makes adding individual files easier as one can ommit
the startTransaction() and commit() calls, at the cost of a (slightly)
more complex API.

Arjohn