Re: XSLT scraper help?

From: Jon Crump <jjcrump_at_myuw.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:48:48 -0700 (PDT)

Ryan and David,

Thanks plenty! Being out on the edge of my expertise, as I am, I always
think these snafus are the result of something stupid I did. It's nice to
know I'm not crazy.

Longwell/stable seems to work with my patched version of PB. What's more,
Steve Dunham's xsltfix patch works (sort of)! The first page of the csail
directory is imported via the xslt screen-scraper. Unfortunately, the
scraper chokes on the full list because of an invalid entity toward the
end causing:

ERROR: 'Character reference "&#11" is an invalid XML character.'

Nevertheless, I'm pleased to have a (working?) example of an xslt
screenscraper to use as a model. I know you all are proponents of js, and
from what little I've recently learned of it, it's clear there might be
good reasons for your preference (if anyone knows of a more detailed
discussion of the relative merits of js over xlst in this sort of
application, it would be useful); however, I'm sure you want your tools to
be as broadly accessible as possible, and xslt is widely used.

So, many thanks and kudos. On the other hand, with longwell/stable, I'm
back to the old-style browser: no views and old-style facet lists. I guess
I'll just stay tuned?

Jon
J.J. Crump
Dept. of History 353560