Re: Permanence of citeline exhibits

From: MacKenzie Smith <kenzie_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:31:47 -0500

Hi Valentin.
> Hi,
>
> I have just discovered your service through the zotero newsfeed and it
> looked very useful to me, so I gave it a shot. Functionality,
> usability and design are superb!
thank you!

> I am a bit worried about the persistence of your service though. Since
> I couldn't find an answer to my question in the User's Guide or the
> FAQ, I decided to shoot you a quick email.
> Let's say I put a link to an exported bibliography in my thesis, will
> it still be accessible ten years from now? Is the URI permanent, will
> your site still be up? Or is it more like one of those fast-moving
> social web services? You might want to clarify this in the FAQ as well.
MIT is hosting the data for now, but you're right not to assume that's a
permanent commitment. Luckily it's easy to export your data and store it
locally, alongside your HTML, and make a minor edit to the HTML to point
to the local data. So there's a simple exit strategy should we stop
running the service someday, and the URL that you have created for your
HTML bibliography won't change if you don't move it! That's the only
thing the public sees... where the data in it comes from is under your
control.

--
MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology