Re: AW: Pending vocabulary issues

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:03:59 -0400

Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:

>> :myImages a fresnel:PropertyTransform ;
>> fresnel:transformDomain foaf:depiction ;
>> fresnel:transformDomain my:image ;
>> fresnel:value fresnel:image ;
>> fresnel:valueSeparator [
>> fresnel:contentFirst "[ " ;
>> fresnel:contentAfter " | " ;
>> fresnel:contentLast " ]" ]
>> fresnel:label "can be seen in"^^xsd:string .
>>
>> It looks a lot like moving the :*Style terms out of core and,
>> eventually, giving it a more appropriate name.
>

> The terminology is fine with me. But why are we moving this out of core?
> If we do so, only lenses will remain in core. I thought we were moving
> the styling part out of core.

What I meant was that the above looks a lot like a repeat of what we
originally called styling, just without the box model fresnel:container
/ resource / etc. Style terms. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

>>> I imagine there are different points at which you would use a hook so
>>> you could attach a class at different points in an intermediate tree.
>

>> :foafPersonDefaultLens a fresnel:Lens ;
>> fresnel:purpose fresnel:defaultLens ;
>> fresnel:lensDomain foaf:Person ;
>> fresnel:group :foafGroup ;
>> fresnel:stylingHook "person"^^xsd:string ;
>> fresnel:showProperties ( foaf:name
>> foaf:surname
>> foaf:depict
>> [ a fresnel:PropertyDetails ;
>> fresnel:stylingHook "knows"^^xsd:string ;
>> fresnel:property foaf:knows ;
>> fresnel:sublens :friendsLens ) .
>>
>> :friendsLens a fresnel:Lens ;
>> fresnel:lensDomain foaf:Person ;
>> fresnel:group :foafGroup ;
>> fresnel:group :tableGroup ;
>> fresnel:stylingHook "friend"^^xsd:string ;
>> fresnel:showProperties ( foaf:name
>> foaf:surname
>> foaf:email ) .
>>
>> I'm pretty sure a CSS selector could be written to cover interesting
>> cases using what's here:
>>
>> - style a person:
>> .person
>>
>> - a person's properties
>> .person .fresnel:property
>>
>> - properties' values
>> .person .fresnel:property .fresnel:value
>>
>> - friend:
>> .person .friend
>>
>> - foaf:know's label's value:
>> .person .knows .fresnel:label
>>
>> - foaf:know's value's label:
>> .person .knows .fresnel:value .fresnel:label
>

> I'm lost here. What are these CSS selectors applied to? Is it the
> intermediate tree? My problem is with .fresnel:* elements in the
> selectors. I don't understand how they fit in this. More precisely, I
> did not expect them to be present in any output (lens or transformation).

The CSS selectors would be applied to XHTML derived from the
intermediate tree. The '.fresnel:' prefixes are a shorthand to indicate
that an XSLT author would have to use some agreed upon token for
resource / property / label / value to avoid collisions in class names,
but it wasn't intended to be a defined part of Fresnel in my mind.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327