Re: Pending vocabulary issues + further proceeding

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <Emmanuel.Pietriga_at_lri.fr>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:52:33 +0200

Ryan Lee wrote:
>> I consider the two parts of styling to be quite different, and I would
>> have liked to get two different names. But I do not have a proposal
>> for them yet. So we might keep with style for now. It seems to be the
>> most appropriate term in the end...
>

> I'd like to call for a brainstorm on different names here; I feel
> 'style' is misleading in this context. I'm not attached to transform,
> though the justification in my mind is that it's supposed to describe
> changing the labels of and embellishing the actual content. I consider
> 'style' to be a last resort in case we can't think of anything more
> appropriate.

I more or less share your point of view. But I don't have any suggestion
right now.

>>> I have the feeling that:
>>> - the discussions start circling
>>> - the consensus about requirements is drifting apart
>>> - the whole development process is slowing down
>>> - our continuous controversial discussions are harming the attention
>>> we had
>>> already created with our first draft specification.
>>

>>> Ryan, Stefano and Emmanuel what is your current perception of the
>>> development process?
>>

>> The same as yours.
>

> Yes, though if you wanted to play with the code I've written, you could
> actually get an XML tree out of it now (just from the selection phase,
> though). I'm looking at the results with some really basic XSLT
> transforms and CSS in my browser.

I'd like to reuse as much of what you've implemented as possible.

>>> Do you want to keep on discussing details or should we
>>> first try to agree on a modus and a timeframe?
>>

>> 2nd option. I have started working with somebody in the
>> biology/comp.sci. on an extension of FSL for their own RDF modelling
>> purpose, and it would really be great to have a "published" version
>> (at a astable URL) of our work. Other people I'm starting working with
>> here at INRIA might also be interested in the whole Fresnel solution
>> very soon. So I'd like us to keep going and produce something good
>> before summer.
>

> I'll point back at a workshop position paper that's due July 30. Shall
> we use that as a solid target and pick dates based on that deadline?

Yes. I reread de CfP for this workshop, and I think we definitely need
to submit something there. Let's consider this as our "final" deadline,
knowing that verything else should be in place before then (especially
the web site).

> On a different note, I checked out and compiled and am starting to look
> into how to integrate Emmanuel's FSL code into my work in progress.

You mean the ANTLR-based FSL parser? I still have a lot of work to do on
this. I've been busy with the VL/HCC conference and other stuff for the
past few weeks, but I plan to resume work on this implementation very
soon. Ryan, are you waiting for something specific on this side from me?

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66