Re: further proceeding

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <Emmanuel.Pietriga_at_lri.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:16:26 +0200

Ryan Lee wrote:

>>> This is not a core requirement, is it? I agree that being able to
>>> distinguish part of the RDF model for later styling is important, but
>>> complex conditions implies that it's outside of core's capabilities.
>>

>> No, this is not part of core. But I think it would be really useful.
>> And I guess it has consequences on the overall design.
>

> Perhaps if the style hook proposal is general enough it could be adapted
> for this.

I'm not sure. Do you have any specific idea in mind about how this could
help ?

>>> This is what it looks like right now, based solely on the selection
>>> phase:
>>>
>>> <results>
>>> <resource label="Eric Miller">
>>> <property label="name" uri="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name">
>>> <value label="Eric Miller"/>
>>> </property>
>>> </resource>
>>> <resource label="Ryan Lee">
>>> <property label="name" uri="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name">
>>> <value label="Ryan Lee"/>
>>> </property>
>>> <property label="Surname" uri="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/surname">
>>> <value label="Lee"/>
>>> </property>
>>> <property label="depiction" uri="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/depiction">
>>> <value
>>> label="http://ryanlee.org/photodb/image-display?photo_id=119&amp;size=sm"
>>> uri="http://ryanlee.org/photodb/image-display?photo_id=119&amp;size=sm"/>
>>>
>>> </property>
>>> </resource>
>>> </results>
>>

>> A few comments:

>> - do we want a namespace for results/resource/property/...?
>

> Yes. I made one up for my purposes, but we should agree on one.

Ok. Something like the final Fresnel NS URI (used in the ontology files)
  + some suffix ?

>> - Isn't there some kind of XML serialization of RDF that looks a lot
>> like this? If so, should we consider using (and extending) it?
>

> I don't know, but it's going to be different when we put the
> non-presentational styling in (see next) - I suspect that will impact
> whether we can conform to an existing XMLSchema?
>
>> A question:
>> - in your view, how does the non-presentational part of styles fit
>> into this?
>

> Besides changing text labels, I do anticipate putting explicit content
> elements in so as not to affect the value text (i.e., commas for lists
> not included in values themselves but as separate elements). Also class
> attributes on arbitrary elements, I think.

Agreed. And considering this, it probably makes no sense to "derive" our
intermediate tree model & syntax from an existing XML serialization of
RDF that would look somewhat like this as in the end it will be quite
different; you're right, there is little chance we can reuse an existing
XML schema.

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66