Re: Using fresnel:FormatDescription again

From: Chris Bizer <chris_at_bizer.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:27:54 +0100

Hi,

> Chris Bizer wrote:
> > Thinking further about it, we could also get rid of the format
description
> > at all and attach the content properties directly to the format. Two
> > examples.
>
> As we are no longer using a box model, then it is likely someone might
> want to describe how to separate properties, making this change
> unworkable (i.e., it will not be clear which content is being separated,
> values or properties).

Right, I didn't think about this option.

But as we are diferanciating between formatting and styling now and as the
contentX properties clearly belong to the formatting part, I think they
shouldn't be used on valueStyle or propertyStyle properties.

So what do you think about using valueFormat and propertyFormat (or a
similar term) in oder to make the difference clearer?

Example:

ex:bla rdf:type fresnel:format;
         fresnel:formatDomain foaf:mbox;
         fresnel:valueFormat [ fresnel:contentBetween ", " ] ;
         fresnel:valueStyle "boxCSS" .

> As much as I don't like format description
> because of the difficulty it introduces in writing the ontology, it does
> seem like an important element.
>
> > Example: Add commas between property values and a period to the end of a
> > list of homepages.
> >
> > :formatHomepage rdf:type fresnel:Format ;
> > fresnel:formatDomain foaf:homepage ;
> > fresnel:contentAfter ", "^^xsd:string ;
> > fresnel:contentLast "."^^xsd:string ;
> > fresnel:valueStyle "basicLabel"^^fresnel:FormatClass
> > .
>
> On a separate issue, is contentLast taking the place of the last comma
> produced by contentAfter? Or is it going to look like:
>
> 'red, green, orange, .'
>
> Could we say contentBetween in addition?

I like contentBetween. Do we want to use it in addition or replace
contentBefore/After with it.

Having contentFirst, contentBetween, contentLast works nice for value lists
but looks a bit stange if contentLast is used with propertyFormat a
property. Having contentFirst, contentBetween, contentLast, contentAfter,
contentBefore works for value lists and for additional content in front of
properties (and resources - using the extended vocab) but might confuse user
leading to the ", ." problem Ryan mentioned above.

Which option is preferable?

> > Example: Display a missing value message if a foaf:Person has no email
> > address.
> >
> > :formatMbox rdf:type fresnel:Format ;
> > fresnel:formatDomain foaf:mbox ;
> > fresnel:contentNoValue "This person has no email
> > address."^^xsd:string .
> >

> > And move the ability to add additional content before and after
resources to
> > the extended format vocabulary, where it fits better because this
feature
> > would anyway be used together with instanceFormat or classFormat.
>
> See my last message on what to do with resourceStyle, which will affect
> this.
>
> http://simile.mit.edu/mail/ReadMsg?listName=Fresnel&msgNo=85

The decision to wheater to move resourceStyle(Format) really depends on how
minimal we want to keep the core vocab. I would like it minimal and thus
leave resourceFormat in the extended vocab.

Chris