Re: AW: Reading through vocabulary - 1

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <Emmanuel.Pietriga_at_lri.fr>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:31:07 +0200

Chris Bizer wrote:
> Sorry, I really don't get this.
>
> If there is no stylesheet link then there has to be a *predefined set of CSS
> classes* that all format authors have to know. Right?

No. That's the point. If I understand Ryan's view, CSS class names from
the Fresnel point of view are just hooks that can be convenient to use
by people who might want to do CSS styling of the output. The are
convenient because they offer a coherent "tagging" scheme of elements of
the output that can easily be exploited for creating CSS (or SVG, or
even other) styling rules.

So there is not "predefined" stylesheet that everybody has to load,
parse and apply. There might be some indication of where a stylesheet
that uses these might be found, but it is not mandatory to process it.

Ryan, correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.

> Where is this set of classes coming from? Are we defining it? I hope not.

No.

> The question if every browser has to render CSS stylesheets from external
> sources is separate from the question if this construct is in the language.
>
> Even if I decide that my browser should ignore all external stylsheets, I
> need the possibility to declare my "FOAF-knows-the-way-I-like-it" CSS class
> and tell my browser where to find the stylesheet that contains the
> definition of this class.
>
> Do you want to hardcode this ????

No I don't think so. fresnel:stylesheetLink still exists, but it's no
longer core. Basically, only formatting, but no styling is left in core
(except for the hooks by themselves).

Again, Ryan, correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66