Re: Sample Fresnel XML output

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga_at_inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:04:36 +0200

Ryan Lee wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Ryan Lee wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what the end goal of this is, but I'll look at it from a
>> publishing-ease point of view.
>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
>>> <!DOCTYPE results PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>>>
>>> <!-- comments welcome... -->
>>>
>>> <results xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2004/09/fresnel-tree">
>>> <resource class="this-resource">
>>> <title>Ryan Lee</title>
>>> <content>
>>> <before>Person: </before>
>>> </content>

>> Lee</title> instead? (type="before") so that it could be
>> differentiated from type="after".
>

> Are you also suggesting <title>Ryan Lee<content type="after"> is a
> person</content></title>?

Isn't that redundant?

I think you would either have (order of title's children does not matter):

rules.</content>Ryan Lee</title>

or (order matters since there is no explicit before/after information):

I don't quite like the 2nd one as the <content> markup looks like
over-structuring to me (it does not bring much relevant information per
se). Besides, the 2nd one means that all content has been "expanded",
there is no such thing as a before/after/first/last thing any longer.

> The placement of 'content' elements is quite
> intentional - the content modification is related to the element's
> parent, so the 'content' element inside the 'values' element only
> applies to value items for before and after types; first and last apply
> to the set. This was to keep repeated strings from bloating the results.
> I guess it's a trade off between compactness and immediate usability -
> to do it the way it's currently done assumes somebody will transform the
> tree later before showing it to users.

I do like this, though people might not like the idea that they have to
do additional processing to get the actual presentation tree.

>>> <property class="this-property"
>>> uri="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name">
>>> <content/>
>>> <label class="this-label">
>>> <content/>
>>> <title>name</title>
>>

>> and here just <title>name</title> indicates that there is no content.
>

> I agree and should probably fix that.

Definitely.

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66