Re: Sample Fresnel XML output

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:27:42 -0400

Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
> Ryan Lee wrote:
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> Ryan Lee wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know what the end goal of this is, but I'll look at it from a
>>> publishing-ease point of view.

>>> Lee</title> instead? (type="before") so that it could be
>>> differentiated from type="after".
>>

>> Are you also suggesting <title>Ryan Lee<content type="after"> is a
>> person</content></title>?
>
> Isn't that redundant?
>
> I think you would either have (order of title's children does not matter):

> rules.</content>Ryan Lee</title>
>
> or (order matters since there is no explicit before/after information):

> rules.</content></title>
>
> I don't quite like the 2nd one as the <content> markup looks like
> over-structuring to me (it does not bring much relevant information per
> se). Besides, the 2nd one means that all content has been "expanded",
> there is no such thing as a before/after/first/last thing any longer.

Good point - if we did it the second way, we'd be resolving the content
part before the next consumer saw it. Do we want to do that so it can
be semi-useful out of the box?

>> The placement of 'content' elements is quite intentional - the content
>> modification is related to the element's parent, so the 'content'
>> element inside the 'values' element only applies to value items for
>> before and after types; first and last apply to the set. This was to
>> keep repeated strings from bloating the results.
>> I guess it's a trade off between compactness and immediate usability -
>> to do it the way it's currently done assumes somebody will transform
>> the tree later before showing it to users.
>
> I do like this, though people might not like the idea that they have to
> do additional processing to get the actual presentation tree.

...or is keeping bloat down more important?

>>> and here just <title>name</title> indicates that there is no content.
>>

>> I agree and should probably fix that.
>
> Definitely.

Fixed.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327