Re: Fresnel implementation for Jena

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga_at_inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:46:03 +0100

Andrew Green wrote:
> Emmanuel:
>
> How far along are you in the implementation of Fresnel Display
> Vocabulary for Jena and IsaViz? Have you designed any API's yet? Any
> skeleton code for classes? General sketches of how the implementation
> will work?

I've been focusing on FSL until now, providing implementations for Ejna,
IsaViz and Sesame. Now that I'm done with it, I'll spend my "Fresnel
time" on implementing the core lens and formatting vocabularies in IsaViz.

I plan to reuse as much of the code Ryan wrote as possible, though I
probably won't be able to reuse it "as is", as IIRC it is written for
Sesame. But migrating it to Jena should not be too difficult (I did it
the other way around for the FSL engine, and if you take a graph
perspective on the Sesame repository, the Sesame API is fairly close to
Jena's).

The rought sketch for the IsaViz/Jena implementation is:
- a module A that builds an in-memory representation of lenses and
formats from their RDF/XML, N3, ... representation (I have to look at
what Ryan did and see if I can reuse is data structures "as is")
- a module B that applies lenses and formats to a model and generates
the XML intermediate result tree
- a module C that builds the SVG final rendering from the XML result tree

Module A will be IsaViz-independent. Module B will probably be
IsaViz-independent too, but that is not yet 100% clear. Module C will
clearly be IsaViz-specific.

> I'm asking because I'd like to implement a few of the most basic aspects
> of Fresnel quite quickly, and if in doing so I could contribute to a
> general implementation of the norm, I'd be very glad to.

My problem is that I won't be able to contribute much code for the next
two weeks. So depending on what "quite quickly" means and what basic
aspects you are interested in, it might be possible. Can you elaborate
on your needs?

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66