Dealing with controlled vocabularies / classes as values

From: Butler, Mark <mark-h.butler_at_hp.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:35:19 +0100

 Hi team,

A long time ago we had a discussion about how we represent controlled terms
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-dspace/2004Feb/0003.html
The solution we ended up using uses SKOS, but it requires us to use custom
rules in order to process the SKOS information.

There is an interesting W3C document under production by the SWBPWG that
discusses a number of design alternatives here - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/

In the end, we ended up Approach 1 - the document has an interesting
discussion of the pros and cons of this and other approaches.

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist, HP Labs Bristol
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut