[Fwd: Fwd: [delicious-discuss] 6,411,975,779 hand written labels]

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:11:48 -0500

Joshua is the guy who created del.icio.us

I can't help thinking that "don't be such a librarian" should become the
semweb's motto as well!

del.icio.us folksonomy reached 6.5 billion tags. Impressive.

It's is a flat list of unnamespaced, non-unique strings, but del.icio.us
datamodel is in fact a graph, because there are three node types:

  - web pages
  - people
  - tags

each person links one or more web pages and each web page links one or
more tags.

If you combine del.icio.us's and google's databases, I bet there is
enough information to disambiguate and create a more structured taxonomy
out of those tags in a completely automated and emergent fashion (which
is the style I like).

In short, avoiding to be such librarians ;-)

attached mail follows:

Good advise from Joshua :-) - ben

Begin forwarded message: