Re: Eliminate Piggy-bank web server + bank protocol scheme

From: Eric Miller <em_at_w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:15:20 -0500

On Feb 2, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> David Huynh wrote:
>> I know how to eliminate the web server of piggy-bank :-) Just write a
>> protocol handler, like this one:
>> http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/
>> This should make the piggy-bank xpi smaller and firefox load faster.
>
> awesome!
>
>> The question is, is this just a hack or a hack that leaves room for
>> the bank architecture to grow in its own way, unconstrained by http?
>
> I would *strongly* suggest to avoid reinventing wheels.
>
>> What's the name of the protocol scheme? "bank:"? "semantic:"?
>> "semweb:"? (I think Mozilla already has an rdf: scheme) Like in
>> these:
>> bank://local/...
>> bank://simile.mit.edu/...
>> What should go after ...?

Pls take a look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webarch-20041215/#identification

(I'm off to meeting so apologies for not providing more context but I
hope you get out of this reasons for *not* introducing new URI schemes)

semantic web activity lead               http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
w3c world wide web consortium            http://www.w3.org/