SIMILE and GRDDL

From: Dominique Hazaël-Massieux <dom_at_w3.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:45:12 +0100

Hi,

With the arrival of piggy-bank making the Semantic Web part of the
browsing experience, there is one thing that I would love to see happen:
get piggy-bank understand GRDDL to harvest data on the Web.

GRDDL is a W3C CG Note [1] that defines how to map a given XHTML set of
markup conventions and/or profile to a given RDF/XML interpretation,
using XSLT as a way to get to this; GRDDL also defines a way for such a
mechanism with generic XML, but I think already getting the XHTML part
would be pretty nice for Piggy-Bank. (note that I mention XHTML, but
GRDDL can be retro-fit to HTML when used through e.g. tidy)

There are already a few implementations of GRDDL out there, at least one
in XSLT [2], one in python [3], and one in PHP [4]; even better, there
is (since yesterday) a small test suite [6] - it currently only covers
the XHTML aspect of GRDDL, but can easily be extended to cover the XML
cases if needed.

GRDDL looks a lot like a possible use case for SIMILE's RDFizers [5],
and actually even like a possible way to implement quickly several of
their uses cases. I don't think I would be able to code the actual
implementation of GRDDL in java, but I would certainly be interested in
helping to implement it and getting it integrated in Piggy Bank.

Feedback, comments?

Thanks,

Dom

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/