Re: Updated Fresnel Ontologies and Examples

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:01:55 -0500

Hi Chris,

I forgot to mention another case where we found it a little tricky to
model in Haystack: showing the absence of something. For example, when a
collection of items is empty, it might be desirable to show some text
rather than leaving the listbox empty. The text might be custom to the
collection or to the containing application:
- "There is no spoon."
- "You have received no documents from David today."
- "Error retrieving documents from server X."
- "You have no permission to see the content of this directory. Click
[here] to obtain permission."
- "This email has no recipients. Drag contacts here to specify
recipients, or click [here] to add."

Note that some of those cases are not just plain text but contain links
to additional resources, or allow drag and drop to change the
collection. I know you don't model behavior, but you might want to think
how to provide the simpler of those cases above.

David