piggybank - script warning - 100% cpu

From: Brad Clements <bkc_at_murkworks.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:11:04 -0400

I saw this yesterday after installing piggybank and thought it was a fluke, but
now it's happening again.

I'm running piggybank on FF 1.0.4 on Windows XP.

While reading bloglines, piggybank has gotten itself in some mode where
every page load, or even just switching between tabs, results in 50% or
more CPU time being used by FireFox.

Eventually I get a "script warning" popup that says

a script on this page is causing mozilla to run slowly. ..

Do you want to abort the script?

If I click cancel, the cpu usage goes back to 50% and I get the pop-up
again. If I click "ok", the usage goes back to normal until I either switch tabs
(that's a big clue) or browse to another page.

Looks like the datacoin icon scanner has gotten confused and so its taking
too much time to run.

I'd expect it to run on every page load, but not on tab switches.

I think it will be useful to be able to toggle scanning on and off.

There seems to be no way to temporarily stop "scanning" (for lack of a
better term) w/o disabling the plug-in and restarting FF.

I think it would be better to have an option that only scans for data sources
on-demand, rather than on every page load, since most of my web use will
not result in any piggybank activity.

--
Brad Clements,                bkc_at_murkworks.com    (315)268-1000
http://www.murkworks.com