Re: piggybank - script warning - 100% cpu

From: Alf Eaton <alf_at_hubmed.org>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:31:02 +0200

Brad Clements wrote:
> I saw this yesterday after installing piggybank and thought it was a fluke, but
> now it's happening again.
>
> I'm running piggybank on FF 1.0.4 on Windows XP.
>
> While reading bloglines, piggybank has gotten itself in some mode where
> every page load, or even just switching between tabs, results in 50% or
> more CPU time being used by FireFox.
>
> Eventually I get a "script warning" popup that says
>
> a script on this page is causing mozilla to run slowly. ..
>
> Do you want to abort the script?
>
> If I click cancel, the cpu usage goes back to 50% and I get the pop-up
> again. If I click "ok", the usage goes back to normal until I either switch tabs
> (that's a big clue) or browse to another page.
>
> Looks like the datacoin icon scanner has gotten confused and so its taking
> too much time to run.

I'm seeing this too, though not necessarily in the same circumstances.
With Firefox 1.0.4 on Linux, after a small amount of browsing, Firefox
will suddenly start using as much CPU as possible and the memory use
shoots up as well. I normally end up force quitting Firefox. I agree
that it's probably something to do with the extension scanning for
linked data - it doesn't happen when Piggy Bank is uninstalled.

alf.