Re: longwell "Referring Resources"

From: Jon Crump <jjcrump_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:42:24 -0700 (PDT)

Ryan,

I look forward to moving to Longwell 2.0 as soon as it becomes available.
At the moment I'm working with the packaged archives and samples of our
own data toward a sort of proof-of-concept demonstration before we
contemplate how we actually want to deploy it (what kind of repository,
what sorts of crosswalks and build procedures etc.). It's also been an
ideal training platform for teaching myself the principles involved in
realizing the semantic web, and working out its implications for our
digital collections.

On a related matter, we're pretty committed to Dspace here. I'm not
exactly clear on how Simile intends to "leverage and extend" it, though it
sounds like a great idea. Do you have some sort of screen-scraping in
mind, like what we've seen in your work on Piggy-Bank - harvesting the
dublin core metadata from Dspace repositories for example, and modeling it
as RDF; or do you have something more elaborate in mind that will
implement RDF for Dspace at a more fundamental level? If I could speak to
this in my upcoming demo for the folks here (in about a week), it might go
a long way toward encouraging them to think practically about implementing
semantic web applications.

Kudos on your work and many thanks for your patient and helpful responses
to my queries.

Jon

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Ryan Lee wrote:
> Are you working with the repository code or with the packaged
> archives?
>
> You may want to consider moving to Longwell 2.0 when we can incorporate the
> configuration option available in Longwell 1.x.
>
> --
> Ryan Lee ryanlee_at_w3.org
> W3C Research Engineer +1.617.253.5327
> http://simile.mit.edu/