Re: longwell build system

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:34:36 -0400

Jon Crump wrote:
> OK, this is one of those annoying times when a beginner asks a naive
> question and then proceeds to answer it himself.

eheh :-)

> After a great deal of
> trial and error, the build system is a little clearer to me. For the
> benefit of future beginners, perhaps I could offer a little
> clarification. If I understand it correctly, the build system expects
> several things:
>
> a directory structure that includes
>
> ./data/bundles/examplebundle/data.properties
> .../conf/config.n3
>
> AND
>
> ./data/datasets/exampleset/build.xml
> .../data/example.rdf
>
> The data.properties file declares which datasets to use, and the
> build.xml file issues instructions for how to populate the
> exampleset/data directory.

Yes, this is correct.

> The minimal build.xml file must have a <target name="data"> element
> (even if it is empty), and a <target name="copy-data"> element issuing
> instructions to copy the populated contents of exampleset/data into the
> webapp at WEB-INF.
>
> BOTH the data.properties AND the build.xml files MUST be present. Have I
> got that right?

Yes.

> Is there any more explicit specification available for constructing the
> build.xml file (apart from the example datasets provided with longwell)?
> Supposing you want to do something more complex than just copy the RDF
> file into the webapp, say, run an XSLT stylesheet on an XML file, or
> execute a shell script perhaps?

I have not documented that part yet (also because I wasn't really that
happy about it) but I suggest you to take a look into the various
build.xml files in the various datasets and you'll see all sort of
processing going on, from just unzipping to xslt to custom java and/or
script invocation.

If you need more help, don't hesistate to ask more questions here.