Re: longwell build system

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:49:32 -0400

Hi Jon,

Looks like Stefano and I took to replying to you at the same time. To
give you some more pointers in addition to his help (and since I already
wrote this :) ...

> Is there any more explicit specification available for constructing the
> build.xml file (apart from the example datasets provided with longwell)?
> Supposing you want to do something more complex than just copy the RDF
> file into the webapp, say, run an XSLT stylesheet on an XML file, or
> execute a shell script perhaps?

You may want to familiarize yourself with Ant [1], the build system
that's shipped alongside Longwell v1.0 (as opposed to, say, Make). If
you download the Harvard VIA dataset (run ./build.sh webapp
-Dbundle=art-public), you'll see inside the build.xml file there a
'data' target which does XSLT transformation.

I believe there's a generic shell type of task for Ant as well (<exec>),
though some tasks built in to Ant may cover the actions you're looking
to do. See the Ant manual [2].

1. http://ant.apache.org/
2. http://ant.apache.org/manual/

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327