Re: Piggy Bank blocks find as you type (+ comments)

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:52:44 -0400

Michael,

Thank you very much for your comments!

Michael McDougall wrote:

> I installed Piggy Bank today, played with it a bit but I had to
> uninstall it because it blocked 'find as you type', which I depend on.
>
> The details: if I visit a page with a <link rel="alternate"
> type="application/rss+xml"..> tag and try to use 'find as you type' it
> no longer searches the page properly. (See
> http://www.mozilla.org/access/type-ahead/ to see what 'find as you
> type is'.) It fails to highlight found words, and claims that there
> are no matches on the page when there actually are matches. This
> happens before I click on the little coin in the corner--just
> installing Piggy Bank seems to block the find feature.

I noticed the same behavior but it turned out that Piggy Bank actually
doesn't block the Find As You Type feature. Rather, it seems to cause
the Find As You Type feature to work on the wrong tab (not the tab in
focus).

> Comments:
> - The Piggy Bank web page practically begs for feedback but I found it
> difficult to give some. The web page says: "Report problems and ask
> for new features through our issue tracking system
> <http://simile.mit.edu/issues/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10021>". I
> followed the link to the issue tracking but after several frustrating
> minutes I gave up trying to find some way of submitting a bug. I found
> no instructions or links or indications that it was even possible to
> submit a bug. I'd rather not have to subscribe to yet another mailing
> list to report a bug for a product that I was just playing with. In
> fact, I went through all of this a few weeks ago when I hit the same
> problem (find stopped working) in addition to other issues and I
> wasted 20 minutes trying to give feedback before giving up.

I understand your pain... Stefano, is it possible to add a "Report New
Bug" button to JIRA even when the user hasn't logged in? I think the
reason why nobody reports any bug is because they have to create an
account and log in.

> - If I'm browsing the web and I want Piggy Bank to record data I have
> to do at least 2 clicks--one to click the coin, one to click "save
> all". That's a hassle, and I'm not likely to do it since for a given
> page the Piggy Bank interface doesn't give me a whole lot more than
> the plain HTML view does. It would be nicer if Piggy Bank collected
> stuff in the background for all pages I visit, and then I can have a
> bunch of data about my interests without any extra effort.

There are actually reasons for this behavior:
- Collecting data is expensive (it can slow down your browser even when
you don't want to collect the data).
- Saving data automatically into "My Piggy Bank" can be undesirable--you
might want to select which items to save; and you might also want to tag
them as you save them. And we don't want rogue sites to pollute "My
Piggy Bank" just because the user accidentally visits them.

PB is of value not only for saving data but also for seeing the data in
a different way, such as in a faceted browsing interface or on a map.
While we currently don't have implemented, you can imagine other ways to
browse the collected data, such as in a timeline or calendar. The point
is, the browsing interface is now on the client site--in your own web
browser--and you can have more control of it. You are not limited to
whatever browsing/searching capabilities that the original web site offers.

And the biggest value is perhaps the ability to combine data from
different web sites and browse it all together. Then, after refining the
combined data down to only a few items of real interest, you can save
them into "My Piggy Bank".

> Hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

David