Piggy Bank blocks find as you type (+ comments)

From: Michael McDougall <mcdougall_at_grammatech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:36:05 -0400

I installed Piggy Bank today, played with it a bit but I had to
uninstall it because it blocked 'find as you type', which I depend on.

The details: if I visit a page with a <link rel="alternate"
type="application/rss+xml"..> tag and try to use 'find as you type' it
no longer searches the page properly. (See
http://www.mozilla.org/access/type-ahead/ to see what 'find as you type
is'.) It fails to highlight found words, and claims that there are no
matches on the page when there actually are matches. This happens before
I click on the little coin in the corner--just installing Piggy Bank
seems to block the find feature.

Comments:
- The Piggy Bank web page practically begs for feedback but I found it
difficult to give some. The web page says: "Report problems and ask for
new features through our issue tracking system
<http://simile.mit.edu/issues/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10021>". I
followed the link to the issue tracking but after several frustrating
minutes I gave up trying to find some way of submitting a bug. I found
no instructions or links or indications that it was even possible to
submit a bug. I'd rather not have to subscribe to yet another mailing
list to report a bug for a product that I was just playing with. In
fact, I went through all of this a few weeks ago when I hit the same
problem (find stopped working) in addition to other issues and I wasted
20 minutes trying to give feedback before giving up.

- If I'm browsing the web and I want Piggy Bank to record data I have to
do at least 2 clicks--one to click the coin, one to click "save all".
That's a hassle, and I'm not likely to do it since for a given page the
Piggy Bank interface doesn't give me a whole lot more than the plain
HTML view does. It would be nicer if Piggy Bank collected stuff in the
background for all pages I visit, and then I can have a bunch of data
about my interests without any extra effort.

Hope this is helpful.

Michael