Re: Question about Location (Google Maps) Function in Piggy Bank (v2.0b3) ...

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:28:10 -0700

Oliver Cole wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 07:55, David Huynh wrote:
>
>>(they now
>>require a license key for any application embedding their service).
>>There is a fix in the queue to let each Piggy Bank user put in his/her
>>own license key. Stay tuned... :-)
>

> I am about to run up against this problem in another application I am
> working on, where end users are running the software that queries a web
> service.
>
> While working on Piggy Bank did you consider any other options to
> workaround the license key problem

well, we could function as a map proxy, but that would probably be
borderling infringing their terms of use of the service. Also, it would
very quickly run out of the queries/day limitation and would be a
bandwidth bottleneck and a 24/7 uptime requirements on our part. all
things that go against it.

> or is directing your/my users to
> getting a Google key the only solution?

I think this is what it boils down to.

BTW, Microsoft just launched Virtual Earth on MSN, which is a
similar-looking dhtml cross-browser map thingy. I haven't looked into
the API yet but I might be possible to use that instead.

Note: gmaps license allows them to put adds in the maps. I think this is
their long-term strategy for making the service payoff, and it's
actually a pretty clever one (hard to adblock a transparent png!)

once they figure that out, they will very likely like you to use their
system as much as possible and, who knows, they might give out special
keys that allow unlimited traffic per day. But this is just speculation
at this point.