Re: bibliographic issues

From: Ian Davis <iand_at_internetalchemy.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:04:52 +0100

On 03/08/2005 13:58, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On names, the conclusion of the FRAR report I just posted about has the
> following components of personal names:
>
> Forename
> Surname
> Number
> Title/term of address
> Other personal name parts

I haven't read that part of the report yet but I've looked at naming in
the context of FOAF before. The concepts of forename and surname are not
universal but I believe that all names are structured in some way.

One approach is to avoid naming the parts explicitly and just have a
list in a preferred order:

<Person>
   <name rdf:parseType="Collection">
     <NamePart>Mr</NamePart>
     <NamePart>Ian</NamePart>
     <NamePart>Robert</NamePart>
     <NamePart>Davis</NamePart>
   </name>
</Person>

This is perhaps an accuraye but not very informative way of writing a name.

A few months ago I proposed a naming system for FOAF[1] which suggested
properties like familiarName and formalName with literal content.

Maybe there's a way to use both approaches and to allow any number of
these types of names.

Ian
[1] http://rdfweb.org/topic/NamesInFoafAlternate